Mission: Making Science Reading Painless, Easy, & FUN
Yeah, science is “deep stuff”, and the textbooks are not making it any easier. Therefore, many students, especially EL and struggling readers, find science reading difficult.
Owlcomics is here to change all that.
This site was created by me, a science teacher with years of classroom teaching experience and a Master’s Degree in Education. For years, I have used its content to help ESL, struggling readers, and students who need a little extra “help”. The results were amazing: student interests in “previewing”, improved grades, increased engagement, etc.
I used to “sell” this content via online channels, and its reviews were highly hailed, to say the least, with 4.75 out of 5 stars from TeacherpaysTeachers.com. The only complaints I got were requests to add more concepts into the content.
Today, because I believe that it is better to make money off corporations (instead of our cash-strapped schools), I am now making it FREE FOR EVERYONE. In other words, I’m trying to fund everything solely through advertisements on site.
Of course, I have already made sure that ALL of our ads are 100% school-friendly (Ex: Vacation Packages, Technologies, etc.) By the way, teachers LOVE vacations–I have come to find out.
Uses for Owlcomics
- A fun “hook” at the start of the class
- Primer to give to students prior to reading complex passages
- Reciprocal Teaching aid / material
- Visual Aid for your lecture
- Student Project Components (picture inserts, concept help, etc.)
- Review (Especially helpful in the week before finals)
From this site, you can:
- Find Comics by topics using the “search” icon, located in the upper-right corner.
- View NGSS (Next Generation Science Standard) related to a comic, found at the bottom of each comic post.
- Learn Vocabularies and explanations at the bottom of each post.
- Study Topics such as Cell Biology, Ecology, Genetics, Anatomy, Health, Evolution, Environmental Sciences…etc.
May you and your students reap a great deal of benefits from this site. For any questions, comments, or simply wish to say hello, reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Master’s in Education, UCLA
CA-State Credentialed Educator, Instructional Designer